Sunday, August 12, 2012

Legacy

Thinking about my sweet Father-in-law today, he's having his first heavenly birthday. Even though he won't be having any more earthly ones, I'm thinking of the earthly legacy he left.

I see Van everyday in the sweet loved ones with whom I get to spend my life..Charlene, my sweet mom-in-law, Sarah, my uniquely lovely sister, and my fulfillingly loving husband, Josh.

If I could think of one way that Van has left his mark on us it would simply be, perseverance.

We have learned from him: that even when it hurts so bad, you keep going. Those closest to him understand this with more certainty than anything.

I'm thankful for a husband that through Van, the Lord gave me. I have this man that carries the same proverbial posture of diligence. I am proud of Van, I'm proud of my husband..and maybe one day I'll have a son that echoes the same strong, sturdy elements of manhood that his legacy bears.

For now, we will hold one another up as we grieve, as we fervently miss the physical presence of our dear father, husband, friend, brother, loved Van. We will thrive, though, on the impact-full and lasting legacy that he leaves. We will lean on the loving arms of Jesus knowing that is where Van now finds his eternal home.

And as I reminded my husband (as he is so beautifully just like his dad in his strong emotions and tender heart) this morning as I knew he was hurting at the thought of this momentary separation from his dad:

"Life can be pretty sad sometimes. I know sometimes it feels like you get served an extra dose of sad, but I just love you and, somehow, I know down deep that this is all that matters..
I know that it's what makes us stronger and closer."

I don't know if my sweet husband even realizes this, but he, through the mercy and guidance of Jesus, is building such a strong legacy that grows off of the very bloodline of men such as Byron Picket Boggan (grandfather), and his dad, Van Alan Boggan. He has every reason in the world to hold his head up and know he walks in the favor of God and men, and humbly, me - his wildly adoring wife and life long soulmate.

I'm so proud to be a part of this story, I'm so blessed to have known Van. I'm so humbled to be a part of this family.

I take away the understanding of what it means to bear witness to your children, family, friends, total strangers. Leave a legacy that echoes the wonderful things that God has done. Leave behind remnants of The Lord's goodness. What else, I ask, even matters?

"My people, hear my instruction; listen to what I say. I will declare wise sayings; I will speak mysteries from the past - things we have heard and known and that our fathers have passed down to us. We must not hide them from their children, but must tell a future generation the praises of the Lord, His might, and the wonderful works He has performed."
(Psalm 78:1-4)

No comments: